Photobucket

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Quilts, quilts, quilts!!

When growing up, my four siblings and I were always surrounded by my Grandma and my Mom making quilts. Their quilting was all done by handwork or pieced on machine and then quilted by hand. I remember helping my Mom cut out double wedding ring quilts using templates (made out of newspapers) and scissors and then her sewing these pieces together by hand. After piecing them, she would set up the quilting frame my Dad had made and place the quilt in the frame to begin hand-quilting. I believe all five of us children received a double wedding ring quilt made by our Mom when we married. (Sorry, if some of my siblings did not receive one, but that is how I remember it happening...lol. And you know the baby is always right.)  :)

Quilting seems to have always been an important part of my life and I wanted to start the same tradition with the six children my husband and I share. Our daughter, Elizabeth, was the first of our children to marry. She wed Axel.  They became the first married couple to receive the very first wedding ring quilt I have completed. It is pictured below. Yes, it was all done on machine. I have someone else do the long arm machine quilting. I hope one day to be lucky enough to have a long arm of my own!!

Our daughter, Jennifer, has the quilt pictured below in her possession. She went with me to my favorite quilt shop, "The Quilt Shop" in Summersville, WV and helped pick out fabric and a pattern. She enjoys curling up under it on the couch to watch a favorite show or movie.



The next quilt was made for Michelle, a dear friend I met in San Francisco, CA when I did a travel assignment. Michelle and I became friends while working on the Adult Bone Marrow Transplant unit. Besides being a great friend, she was also "my taxi" while I was there and a dear, sweet soul. Her friendship meant so much to me and I felt I had to give her something special to show what she meant to me. She wanted a quilt she could cuddle under whenever there were cool nights in San Fran.



These are just 3 of the many quilts I have made and shared with family and friends. I always like to think the warmth of the quilts I made surround them in the love I felt while piecing them for the
special people I know and love.

And yes, I feel I am very blessed to have people like this in my life!
Connie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...